“Do something today that your future self will thank you for.” ― Sean Patrick Flanery
I first read and posted this quote on 30 September 2016.
It was a big day for me.
- It was the day I handed in my notice.
- It was the day that I found true courage to put myself first.
- It was the day I said: “enough is enough”.
- It was the day I took control back over the direction of my life.
Three months later …
… I was sitting on a plane, heading back to Singapore (my previous home) to start a trip of a lifetime. It became the most transformative year of my life:
- I traveled alone.
- I spent quality time with my closest friends and family.
- I visited places I had never managed to get to before (New Zealand, Zimbabwe, Botswana).
- I helped my sister prepare for her wedding.
- I faced my fears of eating out alone.
I finally did my yoga teacher training after 10 years of practice.
- I volunteered at mothers 2 mothers- an incredible charity which I’d supported whilst in corporate.
- I put myself out there – I actually dated.
- I slowed down: I wrote. I reflected.
- I gained perspective. I put past issues to rest.
- I truly enjoyed myself.
That change (quite drastic in my case) allowed me to bring my life back in alignment with my core values. When I returned to the legal world in 2018, those values and priorities remained (and still remain) at the forefront of everything I do.
Change, no matter how big or small it may seem, takes time and effort, and believe me, it helps if you have someone to talk it all through with. My transformation started well before 2016 through counselling (putting my historical issues to rest) and coaching (working out what the hell I wanted from my life and learning how to go out and get it).
If you are at a point where you want to make a change, but are struggling with the “how” – then drop me a message or consider booking a Basic Balance session.
Let’s address the challenges together, so you can achieve a happier, healthier and more balanced life.